|On the Cliffs near Pendeen stand the reminders of the St Just mining area's industrial past. One of the greatest mines of the area, Levant originally opened in 1820 and closed just 110 years later. At it's height it was one of the top ten mines in Cornwall with tunnels extending as far as one mile out under the sea.|
|Despite the scrapping of machinery and buildings when the mine was declared unprofitable and closed, the Cornish Engines Preservation Trust was formed and raised funds to save the Engine.|
|A dedicated team of volunteers, working for the Trevithick Society, restored the original engine built in Hayle and has built a replacement boiler house, whilst the National Trust has renovated the Engine House itself.|
|Now the Engine is 'steamed up' on Sundays and Mondays of Bank Holidays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays in June and six days a week (excepting Saturdays) from July to September.|
|Next to Levant sprawls the Geevor complex, which was the last working mine in the area, now transformed into a heritage centre. The on-site museum houses life-like displays to show what conditions were like under the surface for Cornish miners.|
|Guided surface tours explain the workings and layout of the mine and the centre is open daily except Saturdays from 11 am to 4.30 pm. A full programme of tours is also available from February to October.|
|Enquire at the Tourist Information Centre, Penzance, next door to the Railway Station|
This Information is brought to you by The Tarbert Hotel, Penzance, Cornwall, UK.